How We're Reopening Our Retail Locations
July 07, 2020
Author: Josie Sivigny
Update | November 23, 2020
We are now allowing customers to shop in-store at a limited capacity of 10 shoppers at a time. We have also updated how we’re keeping our customers and team members safe—details below.
- Each T&N store has a maximum capacity that allows for appropriate social distancing. For most stores, this is a capacity of 10 people, including team members. However, for some stores that are smaller in size such as Gilbert, AZ and Arrowhead Mall (AZ), team members are limiting capacity to 1 to 2 groups in the store at a time in order to maintain social distancing between parties.
- At the start of every shift, T&N team members are screened and have their temperatures checked.
- Masks are and will continue to be required before entering the store and at all times while inside the store.
- All stores and products are sanitized each hour and all product displays are removed and laundered at the end of each day.
- Disposable pillow cases and sheets are provided for each customer to test the mattresses and pillows.
- Hand sanitizer is provided to team members and customers on the sales floor.
- At this time, we are not accepting product returns in-store.
Update | August 27th, 2020
As of next week, we’ll be testing limited occupancy in some of our stores instead of a private, appointment-based experience. Make sure to check your local store’s hours and availability before visiting!
The last note we sent to our customers announced the difficult decision we made to close our stores in the wake of COVID-19. Since then we’ve been working on a plan for reopening when the right time came.
Starting on July 5th, 2020, we opened our Portland, Oregon location to better gauge customer interest before rolling out wider opening strategies.
A lot has changed since March, and a lot hasn’t—we realize that each of our customers and employees may find themselves experiencing this time completely differently. This is a constantly evolving situation, and we’re vigilantly keeping up with the CDC’s strict guidelines and our own measurements as we move forward.
We hope to be able to open the rest of our stores soon.
Tuft & Needle Employee Safety
Our team member’s safety comes first and foremost, so that we can better serve our customers. Because this is a constantly shifting landscape, our team will be actively engaging with their leads to adjust as we learn.
This is an entirely new world for all of us and we want to make sure our team members feel educated and prepared to interact with customers and each other in a safe way. This includes identifying symptoms of COVID-19 in themselves and others and feeling empowered to make decisions that keep everyone safe.
Team members will be provided with PPE and T&N will keep the store stocked with all of the necessary cleaning supplies.
We’ll be limiting the amount of customers in our stores so that team members and customers can maintain distance from each other in accordance to the CDC and WHO’s social distancing guidelines.
We’ll be shifting to a new experience for our customers, one that isn’t all that different from our original retail strategy years ago—private shopping experiences by reservation only. Guests can book a 40-minute reservation in groups of 5 or less on our website, and will have time to try each of our mattresses and get any questions they have answered by our team.
By keeping the number of daily reservations limited, we hope to learn more about providing a great experience during this time, but still maintain high safety standards for our team and our customers.
Customer and Employee Safety
We will require every customer and team member to wear a mask when they enter our stores. If you don’t have one of your own, we’ll happily provide one for you to use at our stores, and elsewhere as more retail establishments open up.
We’ll be adhering to strict cleaning routines before opening, between each reservation, and after closing each day. We’ll be following three simple steps in addition to our already high cleaning standards to make sure that the store and mattresses stay as clean as possible.
- Prior to every reservation, our team will thoroughly clean store and models, including adding vinyl encasements that can be disinfected to our pillows and fresh linens that will not be reused until washed.
- All surrounding areas that aren’t washable will be wiped down with disinfectant and carefully cleansed between every appointment. This includes night stands, signage, and furniture in the store.
- At the end of each day, all linens will be washed and sanitized by our laundry service according to CDC and WHO recommendations.
We’re changing a bit about our in-store experience to make it safer for everyone. We’ll be removing samples of our accessories from our store for the time being, but all of our products will be available online at the time of purchase. With less customers allowed in, we hope to maintain a safe and comfortable distance while still getting everything you need from our team members.
What We Hope to Learn
We don’t know how to do this perfectly—no one does. We hope that by carefully opening our Portland location with the above safety measures in place, we can scale to opening our other stores as more cities feel it is safe to lift stay at home orders. We’ll be relying heavily on customer feedback, team member feedback, and the leaders that have been getting us through this pandemic as we move forward.
As always, we’re available online and provide some of the best customer service out there to ensure that you’re sleeping well, even if that means our products didn’t work out for you. You won’t have to come back to our store to return anything (In fact, we won’t be accepting them for our team member’s safety, and your convenience.) and our team is just a few clicks away to answer questions.
To make a reservation, click here. If you have questions, concerns, or feedback for us, you can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The T&N Team