Picture of a family pulling out their T&N Mattress of the box in came in

When Customers Come Before the Numbers, Everyone Wins

May 19, 2017

Author: Josie Sivigny

Tuft & Needle was started five years ago and has sold over 400,000 beds in that time. Even more impressive is that 96 out of every 100 people keep their mattress after the 100-night risk-free trial ends.

So why have so many people made the plunge of buying a mattress online?

It might not be what you think. Yes, Tuft & Needle has a great product and award-winning service, but there’s something else that’s even more important.

Our customers have been at the heart of every decision Tuft & Needle has made over the past five years. We choose to do business a different way. Not just different from the traditional mattress store model, different from just about everyone.

Earlier this year, when we realized we could lower the price of our pillow, we did it. Then we took it a step further by proactively refunding our customers who bought the pillow at the old price, to the tune of $50,000.

We’ve been transparent every step along the way as a company. Consider when we increased the price of our mattress in 2014. We took the time to explain to customers exactly why our prices had changed, even if that put us at a disadvantage with our competitors.

Just about every mattress company (and the majority of all companies) use discounts and promotions to manipulate consumers into making purchases. These manipulations are designed to play to our fears. We made a conscience decision when we started the company never to discount our products.

Lastly, take our innovative returns process. We were the first online mattress brand to offer a sleep trial. While most mattress companies force you to exchange your mattress, or make returning the mattress very difficult, at Tuft & Needle, we make returns ridiculously simple. You have 100 nights to try the mattress and can return it for ANY reason. We even send you an email before the trial ends to remind you to return if you don’t like it. Best of all? 93% of the returned mattresses are donated to charity. The remaining 7% are recycled. We are proud of the fact that $3 million worth of our mattresses aren’t filling up landfills, but being slept on by people who need them.

Don’t just take our word for it, tens of thousands of our customers back up our claims:

“Reading this was a huge factor in my decision to purchase with you all. I am rabid about customer service and experience, and in the words of Simon Sinek – ‘People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.’ This is definitely the case here. T&N believes what I believe so I’m overjoyed to support your company!” – DeJuan B

“You people are awesome. Bravo for standing behind your principles.” – Jordan

“Love my bed and the way your company does business.” – Michael Y

“Really liked the way no one is pressuring you, just informing you.” – Jozlyn K

“Love the way you do business and I love my new bed.” – Cyndi E

See more reviews on our product pages.

We started in 2012 on the premise that everyone deserves high quality products at a fair price. Five years later, our mission remains the same. If you’re in need of a new mattress, we’d love you to give us a try.

Featured Posts